Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I am a 31 year old man and I have what I am told is IBS.

I am a 31 year old man and I have what I am told is IBS. I've had it for about 3 years and sometimes I have a flare up and sometimes I don't. Lately I have been quite bad. I have both constipation and diarrhea and unfortunately I cannot work out what triggers it. There doesn't seem to be a pattern it just happens. Unfortunately my stool can have quite a lot of mucus in it also, which im told is classic IBS. Ive had the celiac test done and it was negative. Blood tests all clear.
I have no blood in the stool which is good. Doctor has me on the antispasmodics but to be honest they are rubbish. I also take a probiotic each morning.
Sometimes the cramping is quite bad and I have to resort to taking some co codamol as it seems to settle it down. Recently i've been worried would it be something else? I have classic IBS symptoms but I do get anxious about it. Should I ask for a colonoscopy? Im fairly healthy apart from the IBS. What would your advice be?

Hello Julian! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you lost any weight in last 3 years ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no I haven't lost any

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Would be happy to help you on this . Need some additional information though.

Does this wake you up from sleep in the middle of night too?

Any weight loss ? Have you been tested for parasite infestation e.g giardiasis ? Its usually tested with the help of stool tests for ova / cysts. Have you had your thyroid functions tested ?

Both parasitic infestation and hyperactive thyroid should be ruled out in your case.

What have you been prescribed for cramps ? Mebeverine is very effective remedy to these IBS cramps so you can take that thrice a day.

If your symptoms are not improving after all dietary modifications and mebeverine then adding imipramine ,or amitriptyline in low dose is the recommended next step.

Bear in mind that diet is the most important part of controlling or minimizing your IBS symptoms so pay special attention to the advice given in this link ;

https://patient.info/health/irritable-bowel-syndrome-leaflet/features/ibs-diet-sheet

In absence of weight loss , night time symptoms , blood in stool colonoscopy shouldnt be necessary.

I hope you find this helpful.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This has been very useful. I have no weight loss, no blood in stool and the thing is that it actually seems to completely settle down for me as I sleep, almost like it turns off. Its during the times im awake I feel it most. I have mebeverine and it is ok but not brilliant. I have had just a blood test to test for a number of things but all came back negative. I haven't had a stool test or thyroid function test. Do you think its just standard IBS?
Should I be worried about the Mucus in the stools?

Mucous is suggestive of IBS so no worries there. The fact that you dont have any nocturnal symptoms further supports the same diagnosis. Thyroid profile and stool test for parasites helps us rule out conditions that may mimic IBS however with no weight loss, nocturnal symptoms and absence of blood in stool an organic cause is essentially ruled out

Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience: MBBS