DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My thumb became a bit numb after using crutches for a fall

My thumb became a bit numb after using crutches for a fall months ago. Crutches abandoned but thumb still tingling. Woke up a couple of days ago with paraesthesia of 3rd and 4th fingers on same hand. Now having difficulty holding a pen and cutlery..
Both hands are affected by inflamatory osteoarthritis.

Hello Alan! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about this

It seems like a carpal tunnel syndrome

There is a compression of median nerve which lead to numbness and paraesthesia

If non-steroidal anti inflammatory and physical therapy is not working you should have a local steroid injection

Osteoarthritis can cause pain but numbness usually indicate a trapped nerve

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I've been taking NSAID for years for my osteoarthritis. It was a shock to struggle to cut my food this lunchtime!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Paraesthesia follows my ulnar nerve and not median nerve. Think carpal tunnel syndrome is wrong.

In that case you should have a nerve conduction study and an evaluation of cervical spine