wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have been experiencing swollen ankles for over a year

Customer Question

I have been experiencing swollen ankles for over a year since I got on the nexplanon. In addition to this I experienced rapid weight gain going from 135 lbs to 165lbs in a couple months. I have also noticed a decrease in my urination and some changes to my cognitive function (forgetting words, stuttering and memory loss). The doctor has run a number of tests on me including measuring my kidney function. My blood have come back normal except I have a vitamin b12 deficiency (got 90) and signs of dehydration which is strange as I retain water. I understand that it would be difficult diagnose but what are other conditions that can be causing these symptoms
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

HOw old are you ?

M/F?

What has your doctor said is going on?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am 29 year old female, no prior history of health problems and I am not on any medications. The time that I began to develop swollen ankles coincides with when I inserted the nexplanon (birth control). This has since been removed under doctors orders due to rapid weight gain and associated water retention. But the symptoms still persist. Blood tests came back normal, except I have vitamin b12 deficiency (90). I had vitamin D deficiency (10) last year but this has since been rectified. The doctors believe that my deficiencies may attributed to multiple pregnancies. I have been pregnant 7 times in 7 years (4 of which full term)
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

While I am not going to be able to come up with a diagnosis I believe I can point you in the right direction to get the answers you need:

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

In the USA the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the United Kingdom and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS