wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have been having regular sleep starts/hypnic jerks for

Customer Question

I have been having regular sleep starts/hypnic jerks for around 2 months. It started while wearing a nicotene patch to bed. I started smoking again, as i stopped wearing a nicotene patch, mainly due to stress. The sleep starts are still continuing. They happen around 3 days a week and up to 3 times in a night. Do you think this is an indication of a serious issue?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

How old are you?

M/F?

Do you have any other symptoms?

How many packs do you now smoke a day?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Im 29
Female
Around 15 roll ups per day
No medical problems
Only medication i take is the contraceptive pill - cileste
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

I do not believe that this is a sign of a significant health issue.

That being said sleep issues can come from any number of conditions.

So. What should you do?

I suggest you see your GP for a good physical exam. After doing your exam, and maybe some routine tests, she may want to refer you to a sleep study center.

At such a center they hook you up to tons of wires (EEG, EKG, Muscle function, breathing etc) and watch you sleep all night long. They would be able to catch any of these hypnotic jerks or sleep issues and see exactly what was going on.

Once all these data are available then a treatment plan, if needed, can be started.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS