wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

My hair does not grow I'm worried. I'm not plaiting hair or

Customer Question

My hair does not grow I'm worried.
I'm not plaiting hair or using any harsh chemicals. There's no hair around my edges too.
I use a liquid medication call diprosalic which was prescribed to me about 4 years ago due to a section of scalp being itchy all the time and in the spot. Hair around this area is also brittle and very short and has been like that for years.
I wear wigs due to and not pleasant particularly in summer.
Im 42 years now, started experiencing this when I was about 37
Please help me
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 days ago.

Where is the hair growth problem occurring on your body?

Can you upload a picture of the area involved?

Has this been getting worse over the last 5 years?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
On my head. No hair around edges. The rest is about 5inches amount of hair. 1 inch of hair around the itchy area ( area on scalp is about 3 inches, and that area continues to itch for many years, reason for the diprosalic)
Not getting worse but still the same and no improvement for 5 years
No medical problems but been prescribed with iron as i get anaemic.Hope this helps.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 days ago.

Would a photo show this area well? If so, can you upload a few...

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't think will make any difference and apart from that area, there's the edges as well as the rest of hair refusing to grow.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 days ago.

Some things just do not photograph well ;-)

What type of assistance can I give you today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Just want to know what is wrong and why this is happening.
What can I do ?
Any medication advice?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 11 days ago.

It sounds like you are suffering from female pattern hair loss.

This is more common than you might think....

The most common cause is normal hormonal changes, which makes sense at your age of 42.

The best thing to do would be to consult with a dermatologist for a complete exam and some blood work.

On the internet you will find many creams, lotions, pills, diets and machines/gimmicks that say they can solve this issue. Don't believe any of them...they are all scams.

Here is a very good web site from a highly respected source that talks about hair loss that you might find helpful:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hair-loss/symptoms-causes/syc-20372926

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS