Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Can vitamin D deficiency cause heart palpitations? I’ve been

Can vitamin D deficiency cause heart palpitations? I’ve been getting palpations on and off for over a week

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, vitamin D can cause heart palpitations and this is due to the fact that it enhances calcium absorption. Calcium is very relevant in the function of the heart muscle. If you are having heart palpitations, then stop taking the vitamin D and get yourself evaluated by your GP.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had my bloods taken and my vitamin D is very low. I’ve been given vitamin D tablets today to start taking I’ve still to take one. I wanted to know because I have this deficiency could this be the cause of heart palpitations? Or what is the cause of palpitations? My ecg showed up mild lvh/ischemia but my echo was normal

A deficiency of vitamin D can also cause palpitations. As I mentioned, the heart muscle requires calcium to function properly and vitamin D enhances calcium absorption. Too much vitamin D means too much calcium and too little vitamin D means too little calcium.

Whatever disturbs this balance will result in heart palpitations.

If you Echo was normal, then I will not worry much about what the EKG has shown.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what has shown up on my ecg has nothing to do with palpations cause my echo was normal?

Yes, that is correct!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Glad to help!

Please take good care and leave a 5-star rating for the service.