wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Can a aortic valve be genetically too big for a valve

Can a aortic valve be genetically too big for a valve replacement/ surgery

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

What do you mean by genetically too big?

How old are you?

M/F?

What sort of aortic valve pathology are you experiencing?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My father is 81 other wise well lots of tests and told he had aortic stenosis he had scans, echocardiogram etc and was waiting for date for tavi as open heart too dangerous. Now they say his aortic valve is too big for a replacement they do not have a valve big enough

When using TAVI it is true that there are only a limited number of sizes available. In this case it would be entirely possible that your fathers heart would require a valve bigger then the company manufactures.

In general open heart surgery for valve replacement is able to fix a much wider range of aortic valve sizes.

That being said I can easily understand how your father would not be able to withstand the extreme stresses of open heart surgery.....

Even traveling to another hospital, say in the USA, would not change this fact.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One last thing a bespoke valve if it was possible I’m guessing would be too big to go through the artery/ vein during the procedure?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the procedure where u can go through the back of the ribs does that give anymore flexibility or is it an option with regards ***** ***** ? Thank you

As you stated so well the approach to the heart still does not change the fact that your father requires a very large aortic valve replacement.

As a son who also has a father in his 80's I can understand what you are going through.

I wish your entire family the very best.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in you opinion would the isvr through the ribs be an option for a larger valve .... I’m trying to get a full idea of all procedures

You would have to talk to your fathers surgeons about that as they know his entire situation best.

From what you have posted the major underlying issue is that ISVR does not manufacture a valve large enough for your dad. As such, his only other option would be open heart surgery, which the surgeons do not believe he would survive....