Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I would like advice please. Since last Sunday week ago. I

Hi there I would like advice please. Since last Sunday week ago. I have had my period and I am in my 40's I was worried about the level of bleeding as I have dealt with this a few years ago as I had a fibroid tumour removed. So I tend to flood alot. I went to my GP and he perscribed Primolut 1 x3 times a day and 500g of Mefenamic which was to harsh to take so I stopped talking them. I am so worried now as the bleeding has not stopped can you advise me a better more easier way to tale this medication I just want it to stop
Thank you Catriona

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Are you still on the Primolut? If not, when did you stop taking them?

have you stopped the Mefenamic too?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Stopped taking the mefenamic last Tuesday as it was too harsh on my stomach it was making me sick. I have started back on the Primolut.

When did you stop the Primolut and when did you start taking it again?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Same day last Tuesday I stopped and
Last night i started it again

Thank you for your reply.

Primolut is a progesterone. It can cause the endometrium (inner uterine lining) to grow. This will stop any bleeding that occurs from the uterus. But when you stop it, the level of progesterone falls and the endometrium will start to shed leading to bleeding.

The reason you have bleeding now is because you started the endometrium and then stopped it , leading to endometrial shedding and more bleeding.

Please continue to take the Primolut for at least 2 continuous weeks.

Mefenamic is a very good medicine to stop bleeding. But if you are finding it too harsh, please try taking it a lower dose ( 250 mg 4 times a day after food) If this does not work, your doctor may need to do a D&C to scrape out the inside of the uterus and stop the bleeding.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for the answer its given me a better idea now of what I am taking. I will continue to take my meds. Its made me more at ease. Thank you much appreicated Catriona

You are welcome.

Please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.