Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Chip. I have not in the past had problems with heartburn but

Hi Doctor Chip. I have not in the past had problems with heartburn but had it a couple of weeks ago after eating a fatty pie. I had heartburn which woke me up a couple of nights in a row. I started taking gaviscon internitentlybut still felt that I had some heartburn and a feeling that there was a lump or pressure at bottom of my throat top of abdomen. I started obsessing about this and getting very anxious. I was lying in bed thinking I had refluc seeping and so started taking a proper course of gaviscon. Last night I was disturned oarticularly by this feeling of wanting to burp but not being able to do so. I have a very noisy tummy which I never normally have. I have a GP apppointment coming up but I am worried that I am either on the way to a chronic condition or there is something serious. I am frightened about tests like endoscopies. I am sure I am getting it out of proportion but I am starting to suffer from anxiety and this may be making it worse. I am on meds for lowering blood pressure and statins.
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: Just a few weeks. Gaviscon has made the heartburn better but I am still feeling this pressure.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Can you tell me more about what you're calling heartburn?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its a feeling of burning at bottom of throat though not very severe.

And does the Gaviscon help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
although I am wondering if Gaviscon is contributing to this feeling of needing to burp but not being able to.

I understand all your concerns here

I think you might be dealing with an H pylori bacterial stomach infection and if I were your doctor I would screen you for that since it's easily treated with a course of oral antibiotics

As for a chronic condition, I don't think it's going to come to that if you have a reflux problem

I'd put you on a month's course of Nexium and it all's better with that you wouldn't need endoscopy

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Dr Chip!

My pleasure and call on me anytime