Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Bloody Mucas in stool - 17 weeks pregnant and extremely

Bloody Mucas in stool - 17 weeks pregnant and extremely worried it’s something serious. Going to the toilet less but not constipated.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Bloody mucus in stool during pregnancy is a sign of hemorrhoids and this is brought on by the increase in intra-abdominal pressure causing a decrease in venous return leading to congestion of veins in the rectum which makes them dilated. These dilated veins in the rectum are known as hemorrhoids and they bleed whenever stool passes or rubs against them.

Pregnancy-induced hemorrhoids usually subside postpartum, however, during the pregnancy, care must be taken to keep them in check. The first thing to do here is to mention this on your next Ob/Gyn appointment so that an exam can be conducted and diagnosis is confirmed. Once that has been done, the addition of a stool softener like psyllium husk or Metamucil two tablespoons thrice a day and also drink a lot of water. If possible eat more high fiber diet and avoid walking and standing for prolonged periods of time (more than 10 minutes at a stretch).

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, it’s is not loads but the last 2 times I have noticed it. Bowel movements have been very different since being pregnant as they were in my last pregnancy. Perhaps I will mention this to my og to see if some medication could be prescribed? If there was more to worry about I assume it would be loads of blood including in the toilet ?

Yes, frank bleeding comes with clots and is fresh red in color. It usually is not admixed with mucus.

Secondly, pain is the differentiating feature between something serious and something benign.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your help

Glad I could help.

Please take good care!