Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a fever/stiff neck/headache/swollen throat/sore ears

Hi - I have a fever/stiff neck/headache/swollen throat/sore ears and feel slightly dizzy. I've felt like this for the past 24 hours. How can I alleviate it?

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

If this has been brought on suddenly then this could be viral illness also known as acute viral pharyngitis.

Viral illnesses are often self-limiting and subside after running their due course for about 5 to 7 days.

The treatment is symptomatic. You will need to keep yourself hydrated. Start Tylenol 2 tablets every 6 hours, start on a decongestant and antihistamine, a combination, Claritin D twice a day is best.

Steam inhalations four times a day and lozenges to soothe the throat. I will also suggest saline water gargles four times a day.

This should start getting better within 48 to 72 hours, however, if this seems to be increasing in intensity then a visit to the Urgent Care or your PCP will be warranted for an examination and a more thorough evaluation.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It did come on very suddenly - you're right. I went to the doctors earlier and they said it was a nasty infection of some kind but they couldn't give me anything. Thank you for your diagnosis. Is there anything immediate I can do to help with the fever? It's horrible.

Yes, take 2 Tylenol, right now and also cold sponging and fanning to cause evaporation. That should reduce the fever within 15 to 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for your time

Glad I could help!

Take good care.