How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10550
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

When I moved into my apartment about 8 years ago, there were

This answer was rated:

Hi, when I moved into my apartment about 8 years ago, there were still several bottles of detergent on the mantelpiece in the WC, including a bottle of Cif household cleaner, but I just left them there, because I dislike handling detergents. Today, however, I was fiddling about with a cleaning brush on the cabinet of the WC, when I noticed that the brush was slightly contaminated by dried solidified Cif, because part of an 8 year old bottle of Cif had leaked all the way down the wall, coming into contact with the brush. I immediately washed my hands. I then decided to clean the wall by scraping it, and also throw away all the bottles of detergent, using gloves. I didn’t breathe anything in, because I either held my breath, or the place was well ventilated. I’m just wondering if the fact that my bare hand came briefly into contact with the dried crumbly 8 year old Cif might affect me adversely; is this possible? Thank you.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You did the right thing washing and rinsing the hands immediately.

If there had been any contact that had caused irritation then it would have resulted in an inflammatory reaction or an allergic reaction on the skin of the hands. Causing itching and redness and a rash.

Since, you did not inhale anything and develop any symptoms of respiratory tract irritation like coughing, phlegm, shortness of breath etc there is nothing to be concerned about there either.

There are no long-term effects reported with dried chemicals used in detergents.

I think you will be fine.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** brief skin contact such as I had with dried material potentially cause respiratory tract irritation? or would it just affect the skin? I didn't open the bottle, or break it so there were no fumes. However, I wiped away the dried stuff with a damp cloth, being careful to hold my breath and/or ventilate. Could this old Cif be more dangerous than new product to inhale? That said, i wasn't aware of any strong smell.

No, skin contact with a dried detergent will not cause respiratory tract irritation and the dried Cif would not be more dangerous as dried products do not produce the chemical fumes that a liquid does. If there were any toxic fumes in the air you would have smelt them and developed watery eyes and red eyes.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr Uzair and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you