Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I'm 19 years old and about a week ago I found a breast lump

Hi, I'm 19 years old and about a week ago I found a breast lump below and slightly under my right nipple. I got it check by a gp who said that he couldn't feel any worrying lumps. However, today I have just noticed that when I lie down and feel it, it becomes flat, hard and doesn't seem to move much as when I lie on my side, it's in the same place. Now I'm really worried because I know that all those symptoms point towards cancer. Do you think that's what it is?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

The majority of such lumps are due to a benign and harmless cause such as fibrocystic breast or a fibroadenoma. You should not worry about cancer especially since you have been examined by your doctor. Cancer will cause an obvious and prominent lump and nipple/skin changes. You can have an ultrasound examination to detect the lump and to confirm that it is indeed benign and not worrisome.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above

with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Just worrying because it's flat and against my chest wall. I could imagine that my doctor missed it as it actually goes sort on in between my ribs when lying down. I have to really feel for it

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

What you are describing is the characteristic finding in fibrocystic breasts and you should not worry regarding this.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fibrocystic-breasts/symptoms-causes/syc-20350438

Take care.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Just still really worried because it's not moveable. When I lie down I can tell that it doesn't move, so it doesn't seem to be in the skin, but rather attached! I'm really scared. Any more advice that would help me before I rate you?

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

This is a vague swelling (appears and disappears) which can be palpated only by the patient and not by others and such a swelling is due to the fibrocystic breast. It does not matter in this case whether it is movable or not. Only with a large prominent swelling, the clinical finding of attachment is relevant.

Take care.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
such swelling like this can cause a hard lump like mine?Thank you.
a palpable swelling can be caused by a benign and harmless condition.Take care.Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’m really worried I’ve got lots of pain in my bones. Especially back, shoulders, neck, hips and my chest bones (ribs). Can feel bone pain under breasts. Also, today my breathing has become more effort. I know I may be over reacting but it is making me worry about having breast cancer that has spread to my bones and lungs.I’m so scared. Please help
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
DO you think think is due to my anxiety? Also, I have mild scoliosis. Could it be that?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Regarding the bone pain under the breasts, this appears to be a part of the generalized bone pain that you are having. Breast cancer even when spread to the bones will not cause such widespread bone pain. You can relax since only a very large and obviously palpable breast cancer will start spreading to other locations.

I don't think that there is any concern for breast cancer in your case and your main concern is health anxiety. You should consult a psychologist to treat your health anxiety. Doing mindfulness meditation will also help.

Please open a new question regarding bone pains and its possible causes requesting me. I will be glad to answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please help. I’m freaking out. I now have a hard lump on the left hand side under my jawline. Also a lump inside my mouth and my whole mouth is sensitive to the cold. I’m so scared because of the possibility of the right breast lump causing cancer to spread to my mouth. I’m terrified. Please help me
Dear customer,
Thank you for replying.This is a new question unrelated to the original question. Please open a new question requesting me regarding this.Thank you so much.