DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I suffer from polymyositis but am allergic to ibuprofen and

I suffer from polymyositis but am allergic to ibuprofen and so cannot take this for pain. I've been looking into the use of CBD oil to alleviate the pain, inflammation and anxiety that comes with PM and was wondering if there are any immediate risks/disadvantages to using CBD oil that I should be aware of. I'm not currently on any medication.

Hello Jemmy! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm a Consultant Rheumatologist and I am reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

CBD oil has shown anti inflammatory properties and can be helpful in your current situation

Although saying this it is not something approved for this condition from the FDA

Regarding side effects no long term data is available but it can cause dry mouth,light-headedness, low blood pressure and drowsiness and effect liver causing elevation of liver enzymes in some people

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As a Uni student in the UK I drink a fair amount of alcohol each week (6-10 units) - could CBD oil cause more harm than good for my liver in this case?

If you are using alcohol and now planning to use CBD oil the risk will be comparatively higher

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your help!

Taking alcohol and now planning to use CBD oil will increase your odds of having a liver damage so better not to use together

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

You are welcome