wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have a red hot area behind my knee

I have a red hot area behind my knee

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Are there any changes in the skin in that area that you can see?

does it hurt?

Is there any sort of bump/lump?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Did you receive my reply & photo of my knee

No. Nothing posted on my end :(

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The skin is red & feels hot to the touch. Not painful but tight. I've attached a photo

Thank you for that additional information and picture.

It is difficult to say exactly what is going on from the photo and data alone....

That being said the thing I would worry about the most would be an infection below your skin called cellulitis.

If this is what is going on then it would be important to get started on antibiotics sooner rather than later...

It might also be an allergic reaction to something.

So. What should you do?

Given that this is Sunday it would not be unreasonable for you to go to A&E if for no other reason then to make sure this is not a case of cellulitis which, as I stated, can bet a lot worse quickly.

If you don't want to do go to A&E then I'd make sure your GP has a look at you tomorrow morning (I know....tough to do in the NHS :(

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have just completed a course of antibiotics for an ear infection- Ampicillin 500mgs TID

That may not have the been the correct antibiotic to combat cellulitis.
Cephalexin or dicloxacillin are my antibiotics of choice for cellulitis.

So. What should you do?

If you were my relative contacting me from across the Atlantic I would tell them what I told you:

Go to A&E. Better safe than sorry.

All you have to loose if your time sitting in the waiting room.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Been to A&E & diagnosed as cellulitis! On Flucloxacillin & to watch to make sure it doesn't spread. Thanks so much for your help. One question - can I exercise? I do Pilates & lots of dog walking!

As long as it doesn't hurt and you don't do too much, and you push the excellent feedback button for me, it should be OK to walk some etc.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Should I rest my leg? It's more painful today

Yes. If it hurts then give it more rest.

Remember: If you do not give me a positive rating I am not compensated for the excellent help I supplied to you.

Please mash the positive feedback button :-)