DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I recently had a kidney CT scan for suspected kidney stones.

I recently had a kidney CT scan for suspected kidney stones. My GP has received the results which state no lesions, masses or stones but I have also received an appointment referral to see a consultant urologist. I asked my GP why I have to see consultant if results clear and he didn’t know. I’m worried that there maybe more to this or something is amiss.Would a CT scan on my kidneys also include other parts of my urinary tract, bladder, urethra etc or would it just be my kidneys. could it be that consultant wants to see me because these have not been looked at at this stage and I need further investigation?

Hello Meighan! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please tell me what are your symptoms?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Pain in my right groin, lower back and top right side of buttock. It sometimes radiates down the front of my right thigh

Thanks for the information

Do you have a urinalysis done as well?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I went to A&E a couple of weeks back with the pain and I had a urine test and also bloods. The doctor said they all clear. I did ask what blood test covered and he said they confirmed liver and kidneys ok and blood count normal. He said urine ok but I didn’t ask what that tested for

Thanks for the details

A CT Scan done for kidney stones usually also look at any pathology in the entire urinary tract like kidney,bladder,ureter and prostate as well

The most likely reason for referring is that your symptoms are not settling and the CTScan is normal so just to have an opinion about any further investigation of the urinary tract

You should not worry about it at the moment as till now there is nothing concerning in any of your results

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Dear Meighan,

Please do let me know if you have any other question

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks. What could further investigation of the urinary tract look for? Could there be anything sinister missed by the tests I had so far

Anything serious is unlikely to be missed by CT scan

Most likely he will evaluate you if you need cystoscopy for direct visualization of the urinary tract or not

But if the urine is normal and CT scan is normal i am hopeful that you will not require any further tests