DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I am recovering from an ankle fracture I had surgery( ORIF)

I am recovering from an ankle fracture I had surgery( ORIF) 9 weeks ago and have just started walking on crutches which Im doing very well. Have been discharged from the hospital had an Xray and bone has healed, ehaving physio every other week at The Royal Free in London. However as Im walking more and more in the house my ankle has started too swell badly and only goes down when I sleep at night. It gets very swollen - I am elevating and icing twice a day but this does not seem to change things the skin gets red even though i oil it daily
I am a bit concerned as I live on my own and not sure when it becomes an emergency as it can get very swollen
Nicole

Hello Nicole! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about this

You need to limit your mobility as after such fractures and surgical repair the drainage from the site of surgery can be slow and it takes time to drain the fluid from that area

This is not a serious issue you just have to limit your mobility and when you lie or sleep place a pillow to elevate your foot

You can use an anti inflammatory like Advil to help with the swelling if there is any inflammatory component contributing to it

Usually it takes around 12 weeks to get back to routine and some time with advance age it can take a little longer

But as long as your bone healing is fine there is nothing to worry about

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
what would be the inflammatory component to it but yes you are being reassuring yes the bone is fine and Im actually walking short distances without the crutches just worried about the huge swelling thats all

Sometime when a person start walking after a surgery there can be a local inflammation which give rise to mild pain and swelling so in that case anti-inflammatory drugs are generally helpful

Please do let me know if you have any other question

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating