DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I’m looking for a bit of advise. My mum has been in pain for

Hi, I’m looking for a bit of advise. My mum has been in pain for around 5 years. She gets severe leg pains, and has been to a lot of departments and had lots of tests. But everyone just says there’s nothing wrong and she has to live with it. It’s got to the point where she is extremely depressed, and on some days suicidal. I just don’t know where else to turn. The GP’s are just referring her back to the hospital and she’s started back at the same department she started at 4years ago and they have just told the GP that there is nothing wrong. But she is in so much pain and doesn’t have any quality of life. If you have an advise of what I can do I would really appreciate it. Thank you Lucy

Hello Lucy! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about your mother

What tests they have done?

Which medicines she has used so far?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has had full blood works, a nerve conduction test on her feet, an MRI scan of her lower leg, and MRI of her back. She has been to a physio therapist, had acupuncture and seen an osteopath. As nothing has been found as a diagnosis there hasn’t been any medicine prescribed. Just paracetamol for the pain. She is on blood pressure medicine and also has reflux and used to take omeprazole. Until one doctor told her them tablets will be causing the pain. So she has stopped them and changed blood pressure medicine and came off other tablets prescribed for the pain as they didn’t take it away. But even cutting back and changing medicines that she was told were causing the pain, didn’t make any change to the pains.

Alright thanks for the information

Considering all those normal investigations she is most likely having a restless leg syndrome

She should use Pregablin or Carbamezepine to control the leg pain

Although it is not a serious issue but definitely a nuisance and can continue for a longer duration of time

But with treatment her symptoms will improve considerably

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has been told it isn’t restless leg syndrome due to having the pain all the time and where the pain is. She also has varcus veins but the specialist there said that they won’t be causing pain.

Alright in that case a possibility of fibromyalgia should be considered and she should be started on Duloxetine

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What Is fibromyalgia exactly, as a few doctors along the way have said that this isn’t an actual illness it’s basically a name for when they don’t know what is wrong with you but you have pain. Is Duloxetine a pain killer?

It is a disorder or chronic pain syndrome associated with various other symptoms in addition to the pain

All the investigations are usually normal

It is something more in the head than an actual organic illness but it is actually very common

Duloxetine is an antidepressant but have been effective in controlling symptoms of fibromyalgia

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it’s more a form of mental illness that manifests pain?Obviously this one is a little away from GP recommended but I have read about cannabis oil too but my mum would be very reluctant to try this as it’s not medically recommended by a GP. Do you have any knowledge of this drug too?

Yes it is more of a mental illness

Cannabis oil can be of some help but I would suggest to get Duloxetine as it is a recommended treatment for fibromyalgia

Please do let me know if you have any other question

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thank you. Would my mum need to be referred to a mental illness doctor then for this prescription/diagnosis as I know the GP’s are the ones who have said it isn’t this because this isn’t an illness. Would you suggest a referral to a certain department?

Yes a Psychiatrist or Rheumatalogist can prescribe if your GP is not willing

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thank you.

you are welcome