Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a purple lump round the edge of my fingernail as well

Hey I have a purple lump round the edge of my fingernail as well as some redness. It has a painful burning feeling even when not being touched. What is the likely cause?

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Could you please post a photo of that for me on this page?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah trying to send it

Got it--hold on please

The medical terms are paronychia and felon--an infection around the nail that also has a pocket of pus

For now you can try warm soaks and an over the counter topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin but you really should see a doctor about this to get it drained and to get on a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thankyou. Should I go and see a doctor as soon as possible or do you think it could wait a few days?

It can wait until Monday

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you