DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I am not epileptic and have no medical reason to suddenly

I am not epileptic and have no medical reason to suddenly have fits. But since Thursday evening until now I have now had 204 fits. Until Saturday they were only my right arm. Now they are my whole body. And status for 10 mins having about 50ish VERY violent (with nearly my whole body leaving the bed by about 6 inches) short continuous fits. The only way I have been able to control the severity of my fits is to take oral diazepam (under medical advice) but I am still fitting a lot eg 21 quite violent fits in 30mins. This amount in this time scale isnt unusual. I am also having severe neuroligical problems including being UNABLE to move my leg for 2 1/2 hours. Also struggling to walk at times. And being unable to write a letter of a word without really struggling. Also whilst in the middle of a task I am UNABLE to complete it eg texting a friend.
My emotions are swinging between EXTREME anger to suicidal thoughts when Im not suicidal in 12 hours.
For a week before Thursday I was EXTREMELY clumsy, confused and forgetful. My GP surgery is open tomorrow morning so hopefully I will be put an anti-convulsant.
I think that is all the information. Please tell me what you think. I know you cant actually diagnose me. But I think without googling I must have a brain tumour.

Hello Toni! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about your health

How old are you?

Do you have any other symptoms like headache or vomiting etc?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had an on and off headache but isnt a severe one. But I very rarely get headaches. No vomiting.

And how old are you ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I am 55 years old.

Thanks for the information Toni,

A sudden onset of such violent fits definitely needs investigations

At the age of 55 years it is unlikely to be primary epilepsy as that appear at a young age

The possible causes at age of 55 years include space occupying lesion of brain,stroke,infections in brain,cardiac arrhythmia,electrolyte imbalance,hypocalcemia and hypoglycemia

I would certainly do an MRI of the brain to assess further in addition to routine biochemistry and ECG

If you keep getting these fits I would suggest to visit ER as this can be serious if not controlled in time

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Whilst in ER I did have an EGC and the results were normal. I am diabetic but my blood sugars are okay and have been since Thursday.

Alright so in that case you should have an imaging of brain and electrolyte and calcium levels to find out the cause

Please do let me know if you have any other question

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please can you explain how a calcium level would cause such a SEVERE problem.

A low calcium is a well known cause for the fits

The exact mechanism is not very clear but is linked to excitation of neurons in brain causing fits

As I said it could be one reason but undoubtedly you need brain imaging as well if it continue to seize like this

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you VERY MUCH Dr Ehtisham. You deserve a 10 star rating!!

You are welcome Toni

Wish you the best of health