Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My daughter is deployed with the army and asked me to

My daughter is deployed with the army and asked me to contact someone for advice.
She had a contraceptive implate back on 14th March 2017, 14 months ago today.
Her periods are extremely frequent and for the main long periods of time, 2 worst cases were in Sept. 2017 were she had her period for 22 days (08/09/17 - 29/09/17) and again in October 2017 from 22/10/2017 until 05/12/2017 a total of 45 days. In general they are approximately, 10/11 days.
She facetimes me this morning to say her last period was from 29th April through to 12th May, Then 11pm last night; 13th May she went to the toilet and said she ad bleeding which was extremely heavy, easy flowing bright red blood for 1hour, this morning when she work she had nothing but a couple of old blood drops - she isnt home for another 6 weeks and wanted to know if the implant is not trying to reject her body or it is something more worrying. Please help, thank you.
Regards ***** ***** Mum on behalf of her worrying army daughter.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Does she have any other medical issues?

has she had any tests?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No other medical issues, no tests todate.

It is most likely related to the implant

the implant releases various amounts of hormones throughout the body

these can influence period/bleeding/etc

I suggest removal of the implant by her doctor and testing for other conditions like PCOS

this is a condition where there are multiple cysts on the ovaries.

Is this helpful?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It wasmostly, but a time frame isn't mentioned. Should she be sent home to the UK now or wait for 6 weeks when she is off deployment please? Thank you.

Can she get blood work done now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I don't believe so, is it urgent that it should be done? Thank you.

yes, I would want her iron levels check

she could be anemic from this

if she can't get basic medical care regarding this, then she should come home

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dr. Phil, I have rated you now 5 starts, thank you for your help. She had agreed to go at least to see the ME & Female doctor with our conversation to see what they suggest, so thank you again. Army Mum

welcome :)