Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My brother's mother-in-law has been bit by what she thinks

Hello. My brother's mother-in-law has been bit by what she thinks was a spider while clearing out dead leaves from a tree, just a few hours ago. The bite is in her palm which is now slightly swollen. Upon inspection of the bite there was a 1mm or less single hole mark. Now the hole has disappeared leaving the area red and slightly swollen. She has no other symptoms other than that. I don't know what to do.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Most spider bites are basically harmless but a brown recluse bite can be a problem with fever, chills, and a bite that can in a short time cause an ulcer. That can be treated early on with a cortisone injection

For now she can take benadryl and use topical Caladryl lotion for the redness but it would be best for her to see a doctor to check this out

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could you identify how serious this is if I sent a picture ?

Sure

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
T
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This was the bite.

Got it--thanks

Just a typical allergic reaction to the bite

No infection and from what I see most likely not a brown recluse

Let her try the benadryl and Caladryl lotion for now

If the redness spreads and what looks like a boil is forming she'll need to see a doctor

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Super
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much!

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sure thing.