How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 52482
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now

My husband has been admitted to hospital and has been told

This answer was rated:

My husband has been admitted to hospital and has been told he has an abscess in the oesophagus. A further CT scan is due to be taken shortly but he has been told, if the operation they anticipate needs to be done, that it is a massive op. Can you explain a little more about the procedure, please?

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

I am sorry about your husband.

your husband needs to see a endocrinologist

who can perform an upper endoscopy scope procedure to look down into his esophagus and can biopsy and sample the cells around this abscess in the esohpagus.

this can check for infection as well as cancer in the esophagus.

it is early to be able to look at surgery for the area.

removing the distal esohpagus and upper stomach is a very large surgery and would require a chest surgeon and also an abdominal gastrointestinal surgeon working together.

and removing the distal esophagus and stomach and pulling up the small bowel and making a new stomach and new esophagus.

has he seen a GI doctor in the hospital for an upper endoscopy scope procedure to biopsy the esophageal abscess?

Dr. David and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think so. He was admitted to Epsom District Hospital this morning, having been told that he would need to have a Gastroscopy (I think that is the right word) but the consultant, having reviewed a CT scan, said that this was beyond his speciality (chest consultant) and that my husband would need to be transferred to the Royal Surrey Hospital in Guildford, where the staff were better qualified to deal with him. I spoke to my husband on the phone (briefly) because people kept coming and going and interrupting the conversation. The last thing he said was that if the anticipated operation were to take place, it was a 'massive' procedure and I'm just trying to understand more clearly what is involved. Would I be correct in assuming that you reckon he will have to have the procedure you describe above?

thanks for the phone discussion

best of luck to you
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
Thanks for using