Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Please help me? Last night when I was lying in bed my heart

Please help me? Last night when I was lying in bed my heart started Beating really fast it lasted for about an hour I had to take a propanomol to help me. My legs started shaking too. I don’t know if they started shaking cause I was panicking so much about the heart I’m worried sick now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I could actually feel my heart pounding outside my chest it was scary

Dear customer,

Thank you for requesting me.

Were you sleeping or were you awake when this happened? Were you having worrying thoughts when this happened? Are such attacks occurring frequently?

This is likely to be a panic attack. Awareness of heartbeat, pounding heart, and increased heart rate is very commonly seen in a panic attack. This is an anxiety disorder for which good treatment is available. You should consult a psychologist for counseling since this is very effective in this disorder and this type of treatment gives very good results with a reduction in frequency and severity of panic attacks. You should yourself start doing mindfulness meditation to help you relax and to calm you down. After a few weeks of mindfulness therapy, you will feel better.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was awake when it happened. I was thinking about something before it happened. Last night was the first time it has happened but I was going to phone an ambulance as I was that scared
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’ve thought about things bad before and this has never happened

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

You had your first panic attacks. This is how it begins. Anxiety continues to increase gradually and leads finally to panic attacks. This is a harmless condition but can be disabling and very terrifying.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could this be Tachycardia? I’ve had a stress test and ecg which were normal

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Tachycardia occurs when there is a panic attack. So, yes there was tachycardia and this is one of the symptoms of panic attack.

Only tachycardia will not cause the associated symptoms that you had.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it’s defiantly not Tachycardia? I’m just worried sick the now

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, you can be confident that your symptoms were not due to tachycardia. You had a panic attack which is a type of anxiety disorder.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help I’m just worrying a lot. I hope you don’t mind but how would you know if this was tachycardia ?

Dear customer,

You are very welcome.

Tachycardia just means a heart rate that exceeds the normal resting rate. A resting heart rate over 100 beats per minute is known as tachycardia. This is not worrisome and even normal harmless conditions such as doing exercise can cause tachycardia. You should not worry regarding tachycardia even a very healthy heart can have tachycardia.

Take care.