Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been diagnosed with stage 1A Melanoma on my right

Hi, I have been diagnosed with stage 1A Melanoma on my right calf. I had an excision biopsy and although the breslow score was 0.3mm they have advised me to have further surgery a wide excision which will increase the margins by a further 1cm. Is this absolutely necessary as they will be unable to close the wound fully and want me to have 4 layer bandaging to aid the healing process. This will impact heavily on my quality of life and I am reluctant to have this if they are only airing on the side of caution. Can you please advise me?

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

melanomas can be deadly skin cancers if they come back or spread to other parts of your body

your surgeon should be able to close the wound fully

if they can't they should elicit the help of a plastic surgeon

you may need a skin graft in the area to close the wound to allow the area to heal.

but you should get a wider exicision to make sure all of those nasty dangerous melanoma cancer cells have been removed.

and you need to see a skin doctor every 6-12 months to get your skin checked for other melanomas and skin cancers

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks for your response. I am 60. The thought of 4 layer bandaging has really been worrying me. Do you think I would be better getting a plastic surgeon to do my operation. They did say the calf area wasn't suitable for grafting. The initial excision has healed very well.

a plastic surgeon and a general surgeon together can do your operation to close your wound.

you can but a skin graft anywhere on your body