the-good-doctor
the-good-doctor, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Medical Doctor
55099014

Yesterday my partner went for an abdominal ultrasound

Yesterday my partner went for an abdominal ultrasound (liver, pancreas, spleen, gallbladder, kidneys, aorta). This was ordered because he had stomach distension/weight gain, and a feeling of fullness and discomfort, and when the doctor did a physical exam she thought she could feel one edge of his liver, but she was unsure.In the ultrasound she had to be quite firm, and pushed quite hard into his liver area. She apologised for this and said it was necessary, and that his regular doctor would explain why. We now have confirmation that the ultrasound was abnormal and he has an appointment next week.Ever since the ultrasound he has not felt well. He says he is in mild to moderate pain, he cannot lay on his stomach, eating made him very uncomfortable, he feels even more bloated and heavy, nauseous, and has no appetite. He also says that he can feel a "clicking" sensation (not pulsating just irregular clicking).Is this something we should be concerned about?If it helps at all, I'm 99% certain I saw a gallstone blocking the bile duct. I'm not qualified but I am an anatomy student, and they are not the most subtle of abnormalities.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please

Do you have copy of the result?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not yet, we've only been told its abnormal. He has an appointment next week to discuss it. It's most likely his gallbladder or his liver. We are only concerned about the pain he's experiencing since the ultrasound

what triggers the pain?

eating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's always there in the background but eating is making it worse, or bending/moving in certain ways. This has only been happening since the scan

Ok thank you for this reply

I suspect this is related to inflammation of the liver.

Is the patient obese?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Since it's a weekend we can't see a general physician and just wanted a second opinion on whether it required urgent attention.
He is not obese, if anything possibly slightly underweight

Ok. was the liver and gall bladder blood work normal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We aren't sure yet, the blood work was done at the same time as the scan - sorry, that's not very helpful! I'm 99% certain I saw a gallstone on the scan,but I'm not qualified to say that definitively.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I watched the scan in process but have no images

I suspect you are correct actually

In an obese person, I would suspect liver inflammation

but not in this case

the scan probably irritated the gall bladder

A gall bladder removal will likely be needed

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, good to know it's likely just irritation and will hopefully die down in time! Thank you for your time you've been very helpful