wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Should i be concerned if my 14yro daughter has severe

Should i be concerned if my 14yro daughter has severe chicken painful lymph nodes and severe swelling of glands in jaw and neck

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Do you mean she has chicken pox?

Does she have any other symptoms?

How long has this been going on?

Does your daughter have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She started 10 days ago with painful swollen hard nodes in head and neck then 3 days ago came out in chickenpox severely. Now her face is swollen in glands. No other medication other than ventolin inhaler when needed

thank you for that additional information and picture

That looks land sounds like the mumps.....

Where is her rash on her body? Can you upload picture of the rash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its hard to see on photos,its blisters and spots under skin, i thought it may be mumps as we have recently returned from tenerife but she has been in contact with chickenpox aswell. The spots are small red in appearance accompanied by blisters and within 24 hours were everywhere from in her ears and mouth,throat, face, outer eyelids,down to her lower torso including her complaining of pain when going to the toilet. I took her to a+e on Friday evening as couldnt get through to out of hours as although her spots were severe her main complaint was how severe the pain was in the hard lumps at base of skull and in neck and causing her headache. They sent me bk to gp out of hours who said it was common to be like this and sent us home, by the following day her face had swollen as in picture and has been like this since ive tried 111 they have told me its normal and chickenpox is raging at the moment hence me trying this channel speaking to a specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some photos of original rash

Thank you for the picture.

It is hard for me to tell from the pictures and data you provided if this is chicken pox or mumps.

In either event they are both caused by a virus and there is no treatment.

If, however, the swelling of her glands is from secondary bacterial infection then antibiotics may help....

So. What should you do?

I would take your daughter to the pediatrician in the morning for an exam.
Does she need to go to Emergency?

From what you have posted, I do not believe she needs to at this time. But, if you are concerned then it is not unreasonable to do so.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

At this point I have to agree with your GP and the doctors at A&E......

Unfortunately this sort of thing, be it chicken pox or mumps, has to run it's course.
There is no treatment available for the viral infection only therapy to make your daughter a bit more comfortable or should a secondary bacterial infection come up....

It sounds like everything that can be done is being done at this point.

Make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had chest tightness the other night and has now started with wheezing, have phoned 111 again who have advised an inhaler as in the past she has suffered with asthma im going out of my mind
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had chest tightness the other night and has now started with wheezing, have phoned 111 again who have advised an inhaler as in the past she has suffered with asthma im going out of my mind, she has no fever but is cold sweating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had chest tightness the other night and has now started with wheezing, have phoned 111 again who have advised an inhaler as in the past she has suffered with asthma im going out of my mind, she has no fever but is cold sweating, if i minus the chickenpox which i no she was exposed to before we went on holiday is it possible its something else that because already immune compromised by the chickenpox

As a parent myself I would take her to emergency if her wheezing is not better after taking her inhaler....no matter what the folks say at 111.

Make sense?