DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My hair has been going drier for over 10 years and now has

My hair has been going drier for over 10 years and now has absolutely no oil at all. I've been left with dry frizzy hair. Conditioners have no effect at all.My hair is still naturally dark with only a few grey hairs.
I am aged 60 and used to have shiny, normal hair. Can you help with this please?
I have MS (32 years). Am on Thyroxine 125mcg ( level should be 100 but felt tired on it), Low dose Aspirin, Gabapentin 600x3, Tolterodine 4mg and Thiamine 100mg.
MS nurse says it's not because of Gabapentin or Detrusitol. Hairdresser says it's not because of menopause. Please help?

Hello Isabel! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you had your last TSH done?

Is it well within limits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Within past year and yes within limits.

Thanks for the information

The two most likely reasons for the dry hairs in your case could either be hypothyroidism or the lack of female hormones

If the thyroid function test was done more than 6 months ago you can have a repeat test to look if it is within limits

Hairdresser is not a right person to take opinion about hormone replacement therapy and you must see your OB/GYN to discuss about hormone replacement therapy

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it's due to lack of hormones due to the menopause would it be possible to take a small amount of oestrogen without getting periods?

Yes but better to take a combination pill

Thank you and regards