Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have low iron stores am anaemic, on a high blood pressure

Customer Question

I have low iron stores am anaemic , on a high blood pressure and thyroid tablets I have had a few abnormal smears including lletz procedure and I am worried that my heavy periods are a sign of cervical cancer
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

For how long you have the heavy periods? What about your recent thyroid hormone levels? Are they controlled? Can you share the Histopathology reports? Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Heavy periods about 12-15 months
Yes thyroid is controlled
I am taking an iron supplement
Iron reserves >3

What did the smear show? Any idea? Do you have symptoms like loss of appetite, weight loss etc? How long your periods last and do they ultimately stop? Regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am having difficulty sleeping periods usually last 5 days 3 of those it is difficult to go to work but I get through latest smear is not back
There is a horrible brown discharge in the two days before the period

You can ignore the phone call request if you want or you can accept it if you need it. In the meantime please wait, I am typing an answer for you.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description I would like to reassure you that your heavy periods are not due to any cancer. Heavy periods can have other causes like hormonal imbalance etc. Sometime this is pretty normal for some people to have heavy periods. Your heavy periods are likely to be the cause of your anemia. Now coming to your worry about cancer, I am sure that cancer is not the cause of your heavy periods because in cancer the bleeding has to be persistent and progressive. It shouldn't stop in 5 days if it is due to cancer rather it should be there all the time. So please don't stress yourself about cancer. Wait for your report and then proceed accordingly but I can reassure you that it's not going to be cancer. You should talk to your Gynecologist about taking a beak from your periods with the help of pills and stopping those pills can later regulate your periods. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Please read my answer and let me know, if you need any further assistance. Please remember to rate my answer as this is how I get compensated for my time and effort here for you. Regards