Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I saw my gp almost 4 weeks ago concerned with a growth on my

Customer Question

I saw my gp almost 4 weeks ago concerned with a growth on my inner thigh that I’ve only noticed as it’s grown a lot over recent months (I ignored it initially as have had a baby and assumed it was a weird weight thing or something). I’ve had bloods taken, all came back clear and doctor put me on antibiotics but also referred for ultrasound. Had the ultra sound 2 weeks ago and sonographer told me there that it looked like an intramuscular lipoma, 10cm and that recommendation report going back to gp would be to have further imaging to confirm diagnosis and rule out anything else.
From my reading of NICE guidelines on lipoma and those larger than 5cm with fast growth, a referral to a sarcoma specialist should be considered to facilitate diagnosis/rule sarcoma out. I was expecting this type of referral but when I spoke to gp’s to query what was happening, they said a letter had been typed up but needed a doctor to mark it as urgent to send it off. 2 days later, I get notification about an appointment at my local orthopaedics dept (no sarcoma specialists) for 2 weeks time. I’m no doctor or expert, but this seems to be a very different to what I was expecting or understood from guidelines. I don’t expect I have sarcom, but I’d like to feel reassured that Im being diagnosed by someone who would know if it def was the not sinister possibility. Have I got this wrong or maybe it doesn’t really matter. Would appreciate views as haye having to call gp wuerying their ways or requesting a diff referral.
Many thanks,
M
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a cancer doctor

the vast majority of lipomas, even at 10cm in size are benign and stable and not cancerous

if the lipoma bothers you, you can see a cosmetic surgeon to have it removed.

but the large size doesn't make it more worrisome for being cancerous or a sarcoma.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your response.
I do understand that. I’m more concerned that I’m not seeing someone who could rule out that option rather than getting the lipoma removed, which I’ve already been advised is unlikely under NHS unless there’s a bigger medical prob being caused by it rather than a cosmetic issue. Is it normal to go to a general orthopaedics for diagnosis following ultrasound?

no, it is not common to see an orthopedic doctor following an ultrasound for a lipoma.