Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I had a blood test recently under the NHS through my GP and

Customer Question

I had a blood test recently under the NHS through my GP and in addition to showing my iron was low (serum ferritin 9mcg/L (13-150) – Low), for which I am now taking iron tablets on prescription; it showed the following:
HBa1C levl – IFCC standardised 38mmol/mol (20-41)
Serum sodium 137mmol/L (136-145)
Serum potassium 5.0 mmol/L (3.5-5.1)
I don’t want to bother my GP about these further 3 results as I appreciate that they are in the normal range but they concern me as they are on the edge of that range. I exercise, am slim and eat a very healthy weight but over recent years seem to be coming closer to prediabetes regardless. Is it or is it not the case that any of these results being close to their boundaries means I am at risk of progressing beyond that. I obviously don’t want diabetes but also I am not anyway sure of the implications of the sodium and potassium results.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 16 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Do you have any associated symptoms?

Are you taking any medications?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
no i don't have any associated symptoms and i'm not taking any medication other than the iron tablets recently prescribed for short term to boost levels back into normal range

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, your all these blood results are within fine and don't suggest anything serious and prediabetes.

You continue same dietary and exercise regimen.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i'd like to know if, ideally, these test results would lie closer to the middle of the "normal" range; and following on from that if there is anything i can do to bring them there

For specific pre-diabetic diet -http://www.medicinenet.com/diabetic_diet/article.htm

Hydrate your self with plenty of fluids.

Otherwise, its nothing to worry.

Hope this helps.