Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have discovered a faint black vertical line on the full

Customer Question

I have discovered a faint black vertical line on the full length of my toe nail and have read that this could be melanoma - please could you advise what the likelyhood of this is?I have also read it could be to do with the heart (my dad passed away from an ischemic heart disease) or nutritional imbalance.I suffered with a grade two ligament tear on my ankle two weeks on the same foot as the line on my toe nail.I am really worried it could be something serious :( please could you advise what in your opinion it could be?Thanks in advance
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

can you upload a clear photo of this toe so I can better help you.

I am a cancer doctor.

most cases like this are benign melanonychia

due to melanin producing cells in the nail bed

and not due to melanoma.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi there thank you so much. Will send you a photo now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’ve just removed all nails polish and I cant see any other lines on any other of my toe nails
that looks like a benign melanonychia. Which is due to melanin. In your nail bed. Melanoma would be very unlikely. You can always see a dermatologist about it as well. let me know if you have other questions. If done for now please leave positive feedback below. You can always reach me as Dr David. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much :) Do I need to take any action for it? Will it disappear on its own? Will there be any likely good of it coming back?

you don't have to take action

you can always see your primary care doctor about it

most likely will stay like that for a long time.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com