Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My son (3 years) is complaining of a sore tummy. He can’t

Customer Question

My son (3 years) is complaining of a sore tummy. He can’t get comfortable, wiggling around and moaning. He hasn’t got a temp, he’s eating. He is just very unsettled
Is it wind? I’m not sure what to do to settle him
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

How long has this been going on?

Where exactly is his abdominal pain located?

How have his bowel movements been lately?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He complained yesterday of a sore tummy but didn’t seem to upset. He had a broken night last night which is unlike him. This morning he was not himself, lethargic and wanting to roll up/double up a lot.
It’s in the lower part of his stomach, getting more and more uncomfortable. He did a bowel movement this afternoon.
Didn’t eat much supper
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

Well even without a fever this kind of abdominal pain in a boy his age--in my estimation--is appendicitis until proved otherwise

I think it best you take him to A&E right away for an exam, blood work and a ct scan of the abdomen to check that out

Please let me know if you need any more informatiion

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Shall I call you is it easier?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He’s fallen asleep, should I wait until he wakes up as he seems calm. Wouldn’t the pain be so intense you can’t sleep?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

I can't do a phone call now but if you need me to continue here I'll be happy to do so

If the pain has let up then you can wait until he wakes up to see how he is but even then I think a doctor should see him tomorrow

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He’s uncomfortable and listless for sure, rolling around and doubling over but if he’s distracted by a cartoon then he is calm and sleeps. That doesn’t sound like appendicitis to me because I remember the pain being intense and overwhelming when I had mine.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

Well at one point you seemed to indicate that the pain was fairly intense

And the pain of appendicitis can hit hard and then relent for a while

But again, since I can't examine him I have to again say that a doctor should do so tomorrow

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you