Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

My other half has had trauma in her past, she learned to

Customer Question

Good afternoon,My other half has had sexual trauma in her past, she learned to dissociate from the situation. We have been unable to properly make love in the two years we have been together as whenever we try, her head gets "too busy" and she is unable to focus and enjoy herself - she is starting to get really frustrated. Sometimes it's negative memories and sometimes it's just anything and everything that comes into her head. She feels that her body feels - sex is bad. There is a lot more to go into - but this is a start. Thanks in advance for any help.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 6 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

do you know what type of trauma Adam and if she has had any treatment for it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dr. Phil. We are not sure how to describe it, but it was many varied instances of sexual abuse from young, to teens, to early twenties. She has had therapy but not covered a lot of this in detail at all.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon, just so we have a rough timescale - how long roughly until we can expect an answer? I'm only chasing as nervous about this new service

I'm here

has the therapy been focused on the sexual abuse?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello. They did talk about it, but didn't go into specific details. Even asking her this now is distressing her which is why I didn't want the phone call. Definitely a case of taking this slowly this end. She thinks it would be very difficult to face, we tried discussing it last week but it just ended in tears. We were hoping there were some techniques to help disassociation and body memories, that don't involve therapy.

That is the problem though

She needs to face it to get through it

that is the only way

disassociation is simply a coping mechanism