Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Ravoof, I have a question about the transmission of Herpes

HiCustomerI have a question about the transmission of Herpes Simplex 1 virus.Can the virus be transmitted if someone with a cold sore touches the sore and then an object with their hands without washing the hands in between and another person touches that object?I have read conflicting information about this (some say it is only transmitted by direct contact with the cold sore and others say it can be transmitted by touching objects as well) and my husband frequently gets cold sores on or around his lips and we want to avoid the tranmission of the virus to our kids (16 months old and 6 year old). I am stressing over it quite a lot when he has an outbreak.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It is most commonly transmitted by intimate contact such as by kissing. Transmission can occur theoretically through inanimate objects. But practically this never occurs and this virus is only transmitted by skin to skin contact. You can safely relax and not worry about this almost impossible mode of transmission.

Take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh thanks! At least I can stop wiping everything my husband touches. What should he do to avoid tranmission? I have read about hundreds of times but I want to forget what I read and follow your advice because all the unnecessary information causes more stress for me e.g possibility of encephalitis.
Dear customer,
Thanks for replying.When he has active cold sores he should avoid direct contact of the sores with others, including kissing. When someone leans to kiss him on the mouth when having active sores he can offer his cheek. Also, he should be careful not to touch an active sore himself and if this happens accidentally then he should wash his hands as soon as possible.Take care.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr Ravoof!
You are very welcome!
Thank you so much!