Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I’m a 40 year old male, and have this problem lately, where

Customer Question

I’m a 40 year old male, and have this problem lately, where I am getting out of breath quite easily, when walking, climbing stairs, getting into bed etc. I can literally lay on the couch sometimes, and feel out of breath (so frustrating).Get this tight, uncomfortable feeling across the back of my shoulder blades and chest, feels like I’ve got a very tight shirt on when bending over, laying awkwardly.I keep taking deep breaths every now and then to satisfy my breathing (if that makes sense)?I have no pain associated to this, I’m not coughing up anything nasty or wheezing. I’m pretty active, healthy, blood pressure normal, haven’t smoked in over 9 years, not a heavy drinker either.Funny thing is, I play football twice a week, for an hour a time, and run around non stop.It won’t go away, and hasn’t for a while now, but noticeable things are as follows:*Persistent salty taste on breath that won’t go away, feels like it’s coming from back of throat?*Cough to try and clear something which feels like it’s from the windpipe area, but nothing comes up. Cough is dry, not chesty.*If I do cough up phlegm, which is not regularly, or in great amounts, it’s clear, sticky, but again, salty in taste.What the hell is this, as it’s becoming so frustrating now.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 days ago.

what is your height and weight?

what do you eat daily?

do you drink alcohol?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’m 5ft 11”, I weigh 13 stone 12, normal diet, 3 meals a day, only drink when I go to football fortnightly
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 days ago.

are you able to exericse?

do you sit at a desk or work at a computer for long periods of time?

this can cause poor posture and tightness of your back.

yoga, fish pose stretching could help your posture and your shoulders

massage therapy could help as well.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’m able to exercise, however, I can still get a little out of breath, tight chest, burning sensation in chest when pushing myself hard.Yes, I sit at a desk at work, however, posture seems fine and not an issue.As explained, this is more of a breathlessness issue, the salty taste, cough, tight chest
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 days ago.

you should see your GP doctor

you may have asthma or allergies in your lungs which can cause you tight breathing

you may need asthma inhalers.

your GP doctor can check peak flow meter on your breathing and check for asthma and lung allergies.