Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I’m 37 and have recently noticed that my breathing has

I’m 37 and have recently noticed that my breathing has become laboured. I’ve also been having some problems with my stomach (pains and bloating). I also feel like I have something stuck in my throat which I can’t clear. I take Omeprazole for acid reflux. Do you know what the problem could be? I’m starting to think this could be serious.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Doctor.

It is difficult to say with certainty but these symptoms are seen in a Hiatal hernia. In this condition, the contents of the abdomen herniate through the diaphragmatic opening through which the food pipe enters the abdomen. This opening becomes widened due to genetic factor and/or increased intraabdominal pressure and the contents of the abdomen, like the stomach can herniate into the chest causing chest pain, acid reflux, shortness of breath etc.

The best way to confirm the diagnosis is to see a Gastroenterologist and have an endoscopy done.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Doctor,
I’ve been taking the acid tablets for around ten years. I also used to smoke....

Sure, did you read my reply above?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’ll make an appointment with my GP. Thanks very much.

Glad I could help.

Take good care. And please do remember to leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.