Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My wife aged 71 has been using 5 microgram Buprenophine

Customer Question

My wife aged 71 has been using 5 microgram Buprenophine patches for about four months for pain relief at the top of the spine, with no ill effects. We have now been in southern Spain , where it is very hot, and she has been swimming in a chlorinated pool although she does not ever sunbathe and is aware of the problems with high temperatures as she lived in Spain for over 40 years until 6 years ago when we returned to UK. From friday last she has been having symptoms such as very dizzy, hot, sickly,
Should she take off the patch because of the high temperatures. Is the patch affected by the chlorine or other medication she takes, which is simvastatin 40mg, clopedogrel 75mg, nitrofurantoin 100mg ,lansoprazol 30mg and she uses ibuprofen 5% gel
for any other slight pain.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. No she should not take the patch off. And it is not affected by her other medications Its not acceptable to swim with the patch. Incidental exposure while showering or bathing is acceptable, but not swimming. It’s likely she is sick, due to improper medication delivery and withdrawal.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** not mentioned as being prohibited when she first started these. The patch is high on her shoulder against the neck pain that she suffers, is it better that this patch is not exposed to sunlight or heat in these extreme temperatures. Where is the best area to place the patch ??
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dr K can you please answer the second question as soon as possible
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 months ago.
She needs to place the patch where her Dr instructed. It should not be exposed to water for long periods so swimming where it gets submerged is not advised. You cant avoid the heat