wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I am experiencing swelling of my left foot and ankle. This

Customer Question

I am experiencing swelling of my left foot and ankle. This has been ongoing for the last six weeks. Measuring it in the am it is 1cm bigger than the right. I have been fitted with a loop recorder as I have had numerous syncopal and presyncope episodes. Lately during an episode my hands burn from inside and feel so tight that the skin feels as if it is going to burst. As soon as I feel better it goes. Am beginning to wonder if it is a cardiac problem after all. I am female and 69 years of age.
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: What skin issue? I only get the feeling in my hands in the moments prior to a syncopal or presyncope episode.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had breast cancer (10 years ago). Have had total thyroidectomy and various surgeries for degenerative disc disease
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

What question can I assist you with today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have already submitted my question and received this email telling me that it has been answered?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 2 months ago.

There can be many causes of the swelling in your left foot and ankle.

You could have problems with the venous valves in your legs.

You could have issues with the return of lymph fluid up your legs.

There might be injury/inflammation in your foot/leg/ankle etc that causes the swelling

You might have a blood clot.....

It could be related to your heart issues.

So. How do you figure out what is causing this swelling?

This is not something you are going to be able to deal with at home.

I suggest you discuss and show the swelling to your doctor and see what she has to say. Hopefully the cause is something simple that can be easily addressed.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS