Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a lump in my throat now for 3 weeks (left side) and

Hello, I have a lump in my throat now for 3 weeks (left side) and last couple of days its become difficult to swallow.
Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: 3 weeks hard
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no, I had IBS, and bulimia. Also aneamic, and insulin resistance Only operations were when I was 14 appendix, and in grown toe nail when I was 16

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is it painful?

Can you send a photo of the oral cavity here?

Have you tried any medicine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent 3 photos if you can view them?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's painful past 2 days. Before it would be as discomfort when I poked it. I haven't taken any medication.

The lump I can see in the pictures is towards the left side of the neck, middle and lower third. This can be attributed to a generalized lymph node swelling or the thyroid lobe. Thyroid enlargement can cause pressure symptoms on the esophagus, causing difficulty in swallowing but in that case, the swelling needs to be very big.

This is something that needs to be physically examined and an MRI of the neck is warranted here. I will suggest that you visit your GP to get this evaluated in more detail.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything I can take for it?

Yes, you can start on an anti-inflammatory for the pain and the swelling like Ibuprofen 400mg thrice a day and start aspirin gargles thrice a day. Try not to drink or eat food substance that are too hot or too cold.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you think it would subside and go away?

I can not comment on that. One would hope so, but without having done a physical exam and the necessary work up it is difficult to comment on the nature and course of a neck lump.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sure, how can i get booked in for an MRI? Can you refer me?

No, I cannot refer you. You can go through your insurance (NHS) via your GP or privately. Since I am in the US I do not have a lot of information on how the health system in the UK works for self-referrals.