Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

Iv already had a colposcopy now iv to back for another one.

Hi there iv already had a colposcopy now iv to back for another one. The thing is I am petrified I don’t do to good with any minor ops I’m scared of needles actually I’m scared of everything and I can’t go back though that again I was traumatised after the last one so I was wondering if they could put me to sleep for the next one cause I’m honestly considering not going for it
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I only take mirtazapine and no iv not spoke to a doctor yet as iv just recieved the letter that iv to go back for another one
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I suffer anxiety depression but they already know that I’m scared of needles smear test I’m scared of everything I don’t do great when it comes to anything to do with things like that
Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: No after I got the first colposcopy I went into shock by the time I got home and never in my wildest dreams imagined I’d have to back for another one. Iv felt this way towards things like that forever

I don't think they would put you to sleep, but they can give you medication that could make the colposcopy much more pleasant for you. For most women, a colposcopy is generally mildly uncomfortable, since the cervix has fewer nerve endings than most parts of the body. However, for some women it can be significantly uncomfortable and scary. Since you've been through it before and might forego the procedure completely due to your fear, please discuss it with your doctor. He or she would prefer that you have the procedure, even if it means using medication that most women would not need. Using either oral or IV medication, it's possible that you would have the colposcopy and feel no pain and no anxiety at all. It could be similar to the medication give for a colonoscopy, which I have undergone several times with no discomfort. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help you’ve put my mind a bit more at ease. Il go explain it all to my GP

You're very welcome. Thank you for your payment and rating.

If your GP refuses, I would consider asking for a second opinion. I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US, the doctor would not want o lose you as a patient, or you could find a doctor more sympathetic.