DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

Please advise me. I think i have threadworms. I can't get a

Please advise me. I think i have threadworms. I can't get a good night's sleep as i wake up each night with the area around my vagina very itchy. At the chemist's i bought Ovex (i hope that's spelt right) and took it three days ago but i'm as itchy as ever. On the sheet inside the packet it said very occasionally it causes diarrhoea, and it did in my case. I wonder if i expelled the medicine before it had a chance to work. The chemist says i must wait before trying again, but what if it still doesn't work? Years ago i bought piperazine over the counter and that quickly cleared up an infestation. Piperazine seems to be on prescription only nowadays - i wonder why - and only Lloyds seem to sell it. I can't see my GP until three weeks from now. If i had a private orescription i could buy it online from Lloyd's. How do people go about getting a private prescription? I know i seem opinionated as to what medicine would help me.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

First one has to confirm diagnosis of threadworm. There is celluloid film test for seeing ova under microscopy.

Mebendazole is given for a day for this infestation (Ovex). Please try local clotrimazole lotion/cream for itching down there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** answer your point about the cream, i did get something that has helped a bit with the itching. I can't remember its name offhand but i expect it's what you've recommended.I really want to solve this problem quickly as it is disturbing my sleep. Are tests to prove that i really do have threadworm truly necessary? I would make this unpleasant problem drag on as i can't get an appointment with my GP for a fortnight.It would be so good to get rid of the problem. If i'm right and it's threadworms, they still seem to be alive and it's four days since i took the recommended dose of mebendazole. You remember i told you that i had diarrhoea after taking it and that i wondered if my having diarrhoea removed the medicine from my body before it could do its job. In your professional opinion, could that have happened?

You are welcome. If on taking Ovex you did not pass worm in stool, that is not the problem. Diarrhea will not prevent drug acting on worm, as it is not absorbed internally to act. Please persist with clotrimazole cream as also hydrocortisone once before bed. Oral cetirizin once will also aid sleep if taken at bedtime.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can i buy oral cetirizin over the counter or do i need a prescription from my GP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. May i get in touch tomorrow to tell you if things are any better?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need an answer to my question about oral cetirizine as i've since looked at online pharmacies and it seems a mild treatment so i expect it's an over-the-counter medicine. Thanks for the advice to try it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need an answer to my question about oral cetirizin as i've since looked at online pharmacies and it seems a mild treatment so i expect it's an over-the-counter medicine. Thanks for the advice to try it.

You are welcome and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, doctor. The itchiness is continuing (though helped by the cream) and i'm coming to the conclusion that it's not threadworms at all. My forearms have been slightly itchy for some time now. From what i've heard, dry itchy skin can be caused by a whole lot of things. I expect the answer is for me to go to the local surgery for an examination by my GP. Do you have any further thoughts on the matter?