DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I climbed Kilimanjaro 3 years ago and got altitude sickness

Customer Question

I climbed Kilimanjaro 3 years ago and got altitude sickness - pulmonary edema. Nights 4 and 5 we slept at 4,330 m. I was fine on the first night, but during the next day we 'climbed high and slept low' and probably climbed up to at least say 4,500 m. During the following night I was coughing up water. I am assuming that my trigger point was 4,400 to 4,500 m. I did carry on for the next couple of days and made it to the crater rim at Gilman's Point but it was a struggle to say the least and my recollection of the last climb is hazy. I am considering trekking to Machu Picchu next year and the highest point is 4,200 m. This would appear to be below my trigger point, so would i be okay?
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: This was 3 years ago and I am absolutely fine now and have completed triathlons and half ironmans etc. I am just checking whether it could happen again at the lower altitude of 4,200 m
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 year ago.

You are least likely to get sick at the mentioned height there next year but you may please take precautionary halts at intermediate stages of sufficient durations to get better acclimatized.

Good luck.