DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I had a Lapidus Bunionectomy which resulted in a nonunion

Customer Question

I had a Lapidus Bunionectomy which resulted in a nonunion and further surgery.
The surgeon used two staples as internal fixation, I was not put in a POP, he just put me in a standard post-op shoe.
I was non weightbearing for 2 weeks, heel weightbearing for the next 2 weeks then fully weightbearing.
I had several x-rays taken.
X-ray report at 6 weeks after surgery - I am not convinced of any bone union across the arthrodesis site.
X-ray report at 10 weeks after surgery - There is increased sclerosis when compared to the previous film. Features are likely to represent ongoing new bone formation.
X-ray report at 9 months after surgery - Surgical fusion of the hallux TMT joint is noted which appears solid. There is some chronic periosteal reaction at the proximal shaft of the hallux MT which was not present previously and there may be some slight shortening of the MT also. Bone quality appears preserved and appearances elsewhere are unchanged.
Are these x-ray reports normal for someone who has had this procedure or did they give an indication that something was wrong?
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I just wanted to know if my x-ray reports were normal for someone who had had the Lapidus surgery
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing else
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 year ago.

Yes the reports indicate a slow healing taking place. If functionally the foot is fine, nothing to worry.