Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I am a 52 year woman and i am struggling with staying asleep

Customer Question

good morning, I am a 52 year woman and i am struggling with staying asleep at night. I wake at about 2:30 and try to drift off again but then start to panic about being awake and my mind races. Last night i got up and watched TV eventually drifting off at about 4am, and moved back up to bed at 5am sleeping until my alarm went off at 7am
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: This morning I continue to feel anxious, my heart feels like it is racing and I went lightheaded
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I have amde an appt with my GP but can not get in until next tuesday I took 2 kalms tablets last night before bed but am on no other meds
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: This has only been happening for the past few weeks - and no I can't think of any cause or anything else the doctor should know - I was treated for anxiety and depression nearly 6 years ago, I had counselling and took prozac for 6 months
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

May try Melatonin hormone tablet few nights and see. Please try to take deep breaths, relax and breathe through alternate nostril for calming racing heart.