DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My 25 year old son is suffering worsening anxiety, insomnia,

My 25 year old son is suffering worsening anxiety, insomnia, throbbing of temple vein, consistently high blood pressure and he has random twitches over his body. He feels like inside his forehead the nerves are overactive. He feels like he is always on edge and that his nerves seem to be firing off randomly. This has been getting worse and worse over the past 4 years. He has been doing meditation for many years but this doesn’t seem to help. He eats a healthy diet and is not overweight and he exercises regularly. We don’t know where to turn to get help could a neurologist be the person to see and possibly a brain scan?
He was badly beaten up just prior to these problems starting and was kicked in the head causing concussion but our gp will not take any of these symptoms seriously and says his blood pressure is high because he’s coming to the drs but he’s readings are consistently high. The only health problems he has are a nut allergy which he carries an epipen for and he is asthmatic using the blue ventalin inhaler. The blood pressure reading I just took for him was165/90 can you please give me some advice as to whether he needs a neurologist and brain scan or a different type of dr?

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.

Sorry to hear about your son,s health

This is definitely not a normal thing as his blood pressure is pretty high for his age

Also these neurological symptoms like headache can be due to high blood pressure

In my view he should first see an internist for a detailed review and some basic investigations

After that he will need a neurologist and Cardiologist opinion regarding the neurological symptoms and high blood pressure

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question

I am available to assist till you are satisfied

If you have received the answer to your satisfaction please leave a 5-stars feedback rating

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry I’m in the uk what is an internist?

A medical specialist or general physician

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He has seen a go. His blood tests are all normal and they just say his high blood pressure is because he is visiting the dr and then tell him that he is in good health. Obviously all these problems are not normal would a neurologist be wanting to do some type of scan of his brain or would you think there are other tests a neurologist would be looking to do first?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What reason would he need to see a cardiologist for?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I meant he has seen a gp

Alright so in that case he should see a neurologist

A brain scan can be helpful

A cardiologist can evaluate him for the blood pressure to see if there is any secondary cause of hypertension

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If he was seeing you with these symptoms (as your a neurologist) what tests would you suggest he has please?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Also does anything spring to mind immediately to you with these symptoms as I’m extremely concerned? Thank you

I would suggest an MRI of brain to see any organic cause of symptoms

I think it is the high blood pressure which is responsible for his headache

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He described his headache as more like an electrical fault in his head he also has a metallic taste in his mouth. Also high blood pressure would not cause the random twitching I’m assuming?

The other thing that can be ruled out by an MRI will be multiple sclerosis

That can cause twitching and headache as well

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ah ok that would possibly make sense as I have been diagnosed myself with fibromyalgia but feel I have a wrong diagnosis as I have all the symptoms of ms as fibromyalgia is not degenerative but my illness is definitely getting worse to the point of being in a wheelchair and needing a carer full time. MS can be hereditary yes?

Yes it tend to be seen more if you have any family member affected

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
am I correct in saying a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and ms could be confused? Otherwise there would be no other link to a ms diagnosis?

Not really as fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion

An expert neurologist is unlikely to miss MS

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It has taken 14 years of seeing different specialists for me to get any diagnosis at all lol.
It is difficult to find good neurologist in UK they tend to refer you back to psychiatrists!
However, I will try to get a referral for him to a neurologist for the reasons you have given. Could you just quickly explain what reason he should be asking to see a cardiologist please

As I said before high blood pressure is best managed by cardiologist

A blood pressure of 165/100 is high and best managed by a cardiologist

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That’s great many thanks for your help I think I have enough information now to try and get a referral to both a neurologist and cardiologist for him . Thank you

You are welcome