Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I’m a male of 60 I have had results back saying I have hpv

I’m a male of 60 I have had results back saying I have hpv 18. I don’t know what to do. It’s causing me anxiety
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: swelling of my foreskin and redness felt uncomfortable and spots under each armpit, these have all reduced and not painful that’s why I had the tests done
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Blood pressure and diabetes
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry I’m new to this site do I just wait for a response or do I need to do something else

Hello , i am Dr Saleem . Welcome to JustAnswer . I will be answering your shortly .

Can you please tell me about your sexual orientation please ? Are you heterosexual ?

Most of the HPV infections remain silent in men and clear away on their own . HPV infection can increase a man's risk of getting genital cancers, although these cancers are not common. These can however cause warts commonly .

There is no treatment required unless warts appear .

Condoms can provide some protection against HPV transmission. Unfortunately, they aren't 100% effective, since HPV is transmitted primarily by skin-to-skin contact. The virus can still infect the skin uncovered by the condom.

The risk of HPV related cancers is markedly higher amongst homosexuals . But still genital cancers are not very common.

Let me know if you have any more queries

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Heterosexual, I’ve read about a vaccination is it worth having this done. Will my symptoms get any worse before improving? Thank you for your help I very worried about this

I understand your concern . Well you can get recurrent warts but once the episode settles or any symptoms resolve , usually it can clear away at its own . Vaccination is effective for prevention of few strains such as HPV 6 and 11 however once you get the virus , vaccines cant help to clear it away.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help

Most welcome.

Please do remember to reward credit for the consult by leaving a positive rating.

Stay blessed,

Best regards,

Dr Saleem

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Please help me again regarding my problem I have had lymph problems under my armpits that have now gone down but I feel chesty I’m really scared I have cancer due to my recent hpv18 result