Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Can aspirated cysts be seen on mammogram, if they haven't

Can aspirated cysts be seen on mammogram, if they haven't refilled.
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, no medication
Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I don't take anything, I'm allergic to penicillin
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

It might be possible to detect the cyst wall after a cyst has been aspirated but for the most part the cyst wouldn't show on a mammogram

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My doctor has reviewed two mammograms 9 months apart and said they are the same. However after the first mammogram I had some cysts aspirated so I'm just wondering how that he can be sure they are the same

Are you saying that the cysts looked the same 9 months after they were aspirated?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do t know. An area of concern was noted on the mammogram I had lately, which the doctor thought was likely to be a cyst. I told them about the mammogram from 9 months ago which was done at a different hospital. When the doctor compared the two mammograms he said they were the same and I did not need further treatment.

Well the problem with cyst aspiration is that it gets rid of the contents of the cyst but not the cyst wall and so the cyst can fill again which is what happened in your case

But I agree you don't need any further treatment since these are obviously benign