Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I’m currently suffering with depression (not severely) but

Hi there, I’m currently suffering with depression (not severely) but my husband is and it’s had an adverse affect on our marriage and family life. I am on methotrexate for psoriasis and would like to try some herbal “antidepressants”. I know that I cannot take St. John’s wort with methotrexate, but wondered if it is safe to take 5HTP ? I have researched online and the only interactions I can find is with other antidepressants or antidepressant type supplements. I take nothing other than methotrexate and folic acid. Would 5 HTP be safe to take? Thank you.
Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Lots of people and because my husband has been suffering for a long time it has knocked me quite hard. On the Becks?? Scale for depression I come out as borderline clinical depression but this week my husband has walked out and I just would like something gentle to take that would help me cope until we can get him some help. He is seeing a dr today.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing at all . Just want to make sure 5HTP is safe with methotrexate. I believe it is but would like to double check.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, it is safe to take 5-HTP with methotrexate. There are no reported adverse interactions between methotrexate and 5-HTP. And the physiology of 5-HTP would not be expected to interact with methotrexate.

If i can provide any clarification, please let me know.