Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have anxiety and my heart keeps going fast and slow,

I have anxiety and my heart keeps going fast and slow, should I be worried? I'm also starting sertraline 50mg for the anxiety, is this safe?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

With anxiety there is release of stress hormones that can make the heart go fast and slow. Therefore this is not worrisome. Sertraline is a very safe medication and with reduction of anxiety after taking sertraline your symptoms will reduce and your quality of life will improve. Please take the medication as prescribed.

Thank you!!

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions. I would be happy to assist you further if you need any further information. Please use reply to let me know.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks, I've had a stress test and echocardiogram and the results seem ok according to my cardiologist but I just wanted a second opinion and I guess I need reassurance. Just to let you know, I feel my heart rise and when I check it, it can be beating in the 100's which worries me, then it feels like it skips a beat sometimes which also worries me. It's almost like a rush and when I googled it, it says valve problems cause it.I'm just worried the fast heartbeat is an arrhythmia like VT and I'm going to have a cardiac arrest.Will the sertraline give any side effects which will effect the heart?

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!!!

Please don't google your symptoms. Let your doctor worry about them. These are common anxiety symptoms and are due to an increase in the release of stress hormones.

Sertraline has no side effects or complications that will affect your heart. Your heart is healthy and will continue to remain healthy even with sertraline intake.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks and the fast heart isn't VT and won't lead to my heart stopping beating?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi DR Ravoof, are you still there?

You are very welcome!!

I am online now. Yes, a fast heart rate isn't VT and won't lead to abrupt stopping of your heart. Please don't worry about this.

Thank you!!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you and one last question then I'll leave you to your busy day. Why are my symptoms worse in the morning and armt certain times of the day as in my heart rate ect
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Meant to say and at

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

These are likely due to increased hormones in the morning and also due to anxiety causing a reduced quality of sleep.

Thank you!!!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Great, I thank you for your time and at least I can somewhat try to relax now knowing I'm not going to die or get into trouble with my symptoms. I will take my sertraline and I also have diazepam as well if I get in a state which I assume is also safe

You are very welcome!
Thank you very much!!
Have a great day!!!

Diazepam is also safe.

Take care.